Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer Evenings

The other night as we were celebrating Marie's 80th birthday, I was reminded of the many wonderful evenings in Grama and Grampa Bagley's backyard.  I loved Grampa's cherry's, raspberry's and his wonderful corn on the cob.  All things that he grew in his garden.  Summers were always special, gathering with cousins, eating the delicious bounty that Grampa grew and singing late as little ones fell asleep on their dad's laps.  I decided there was one song that had a beautiful melody and feel of those memories, but needed a little rewrite, so here is what I came up with.  Let me know how you feel about it.

Oh, there's taters in the oven, they are roasting nice and brown;
and we'll have some watermelon, when the season roles around.
In the pantry there's some chicken, in the smokehouse there's some ham,
I love to dream of summer evenings, when the snow lay on the ground.

2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

Much better. I'll pass it along to my new generation!

Golden Bear said...

Good I think its great but instead of roles AROUND it could be just round, just a suggestion. Jack