Sunday, April 5, 2009

Wear your Hat!


"Throughout the years, I have mentally put together a profile of women who can wear hats. Generally, they are women of great confidence. When they visit someone in the hospital, they park in the tow away zone it is always there when they return for it. Their hair is always long enough on the sides to pull back and secure without little pieces standing out over their ears like Howdy Doody. They love blueberries, and they never stain their teeth.
They have two children: a boy and a girl, who are not allowed to watch television. Their husbands recite them poetry that doesn't rhyme. They're the first to wear white shoes in the spring. The family dog wears braces for an overbite. I know I am generalizing, but I'm bitter. In my heart, I know there is much to admire about a woman wearing a hat who knows that she attracts attention of every eye around her and can still walk like a person. I used to give speeches and I'd be so self conscious that I'd walk to the podium as though I were marching to Poland. I have a hat. It is graceful and feminine and has a wide brim with a red ribbon around the band. It gives me a certain dignity, as if I were attending a state funeral or something. People are generous in their compliments. Someday I may get up enough courage to wear it, instead of carrying it."
-Erma Bombeck

I think we all have gifts and talents that we might not be brave enough to show to the world. I think I might just start by wearing a visor!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

You have enough talent to confidently wear the green one!