Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Nothing can cure the soul but the senses..."

This past week I've had an infection in my ear that has made it difficult to hear.  My sense of smell was taken away a number of years ago.  This particular loss affects me the most at this time of the year.  When the lilacs start blooming and Jim first mows the lawn and I first put my hands in the dirt.  I want to smell all those wonderful scents.  The grass, the lilac, the earth. 

I am so grateful for my eyes and the knowledge that the ear problem is temporary.  For the color explosion is beginning and I am loving every minute of it.  I can remember the scent of the lilac as I walk by, or that burst of lemon, and the roses...

"Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."

~Oscar Wilde

How I love spring.
 

1 comment:

Billie Sue said...

I can relate to the hearing situation...two years ago, my bout with pneumonia left me with hearing loss in my right ear. I would definitely be unhappy if I could not smell! I must come see your yard. Billie Jo wants to come too. She enjoys reading your blog and she loves to garden. I hope you get feeling a little better.