Saturday, May 3, 2014

I Went from Sunbeams to Choir Director!! OH NO!!!


When I was a little girl, my grandmother was in our ward.  I remember sitting by her in church.  As she sung the hymns she would point to the alto line and have me sing along with her.  It is my first memory of singing.
I've always loved to sing.  I sang while my dad played the piano.  I loved to belt out "Won't you come Home Bill Bailey," or "Show Me the Way to Go Home."  I sang in the church choir from the time I was twelve and always in school choirs.  When I was fifteen I was the youngest member of the Mormon Youth Choir.  
.  As I've said,  I've always loved singing.  
When we moved to this ward 36 years ago I immediately joined the choir. 
 It has been a blessing in my life.  This ward has the best ward choir around!  So many talented musicians living so close to one another.  
What a blessing.
I love to sing, but am not a great musician.  I never was good at timing.  I've always had to sit next to my neighbor, Betty, so I could follow her and get my notes right.  
And I hate to be in front of people.  I like to be in the back. 
 (I'm short, so it's easy to get lost among the taller choir members.)
Singing in the choir is my joy.
Not standing in FRONT!!!!

After teaching five little boys in my Sunbeam class I didn't think I would find 
a calling more challenging ..
But my new calling is much more challenging, terrifying, headache giving than any five boys in any Sunbeam class could ever be!!!  
I am now the Choir Director in our Ward. 
Nothing prepared me for this!  
I felt that I could do most callings in the church with my eyes closed.  
Well, I certainly can't close my eyes in this calling..except when I'm praying, which will be all the time now.  

The one thing I am sure of.  Heavenly Father is there for us when we are serving Him.  
(I'm counting on it!)

No comments: