Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Best Neighbors in the World

I have always been grateful that I live where I do. I will travel to different places and then think "Wow this would be so cool to live here or where ever it is I go.. but I come home to my house under the mountain and I know that this is the place for me. I am taking some of this from journals written in the last few years. But I wanted you all to know what it is like to live in a Heavenly place. Journal entry begins here- I am sick in bed, where I am most of the time now days...I have spent the last few years battling illness..I would like the illness to go away so I can live a normal productive life..without the word doctor in it and just enjoying small things that give me joy. (Back to the future: A day when I'm not stuffy is GREAT, so my expectations are getting smaller) I live in a very wonderful, beautiful , normal, yet peculiar neighborhood. We are protected by a huge mountain almost on top of our heads, which is beautiful in whatever season we happen to be in....I was just interrupted from my writing by a neighbor who brought me soup, because I am sick. The thing that makes this so incredible is that my friend that made the soup has cancer. But of course, here in our neighborhood a little thing like cancer doesn't stop you from making soup for your friend.

That is the end of that particular entry..the story goes on and from time to time I will write this story to those of you who are interested..But as a forward I will write one more entry. "Before I introduce these people who are such a part of my life, I have to say that without them there would be no story, for we have lived, laughed and cried through everyday stuff....tragedies and even a little mystery and intrigue which we solved, not by gossiping over the fence, but by doing real honest to goodness detective work....over the fence. This is a much higher form of information-gathering than gossip, if it is in the form of solving a mystery....like...Who chopped the Popplers bonsai tree down? (My children were out of the state and therefore not a part of this fiasco, although had they been here they would have been front and center) But, you know, sometimes mean neighbors deserve to get their bonsai's whacked, and that's what happened. It took our fledgling detective agency a while, but we did figure out who did it. We had to be properly sorry, but we were glad when those neighors moved away. They didn't fit - they yelled at the kids and didn't welcome our friendliness, and so off they went. Several years later a lovely family moved into that home. They love our kids and we love theirs...they plant normal bushes and have become a part of our neighborhood as though they have always lived here...
When the neighborhood was young there were babies born, kids played football and baseball or whatever sport was in season. They took dancing and piano. They played kick the can in the summer nights. It was fun to sit out on my porch on those warm summer evenings and hear someone yell "over the can on..." then hear screaming and laughing, The kids were involved in scouts and campouts. One winter scout camp my son had to take his small screen TV to watch the jazz. He spent $50.00 on batteries, but it was the only way we could get him to go. The kids also played little league, and other school sports, they three wheeled around all the open spaces that were more common back then...(all the fields have been filled up by homes), They had fun growing up, with only an occasional outburst that was quickly forgotten...I will introduce more people into this drama of life, because each has a story of their own, and while creating their own story they have touched and been a part of mine. Who knows...you may even pop up occasionally in the story......more from the days of our lives later.

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

What if I pop up in a negative way? Like what if I chopped the bonsai tree down? Or planted it in the first place?