Thursday, February 24, 2011

THE GARDNER

I am a gardner. 
It is the end of February and so I am feeling that familiar longing to have my hands in the dirt.
Just to start clearing out the winter and make way for glorious spring.
And then on to planting.
At this point I never know what my garden will be like this year.
Will it flourish?  Will there be many different colors?
Will the water be plentiful and keep the plants looking green and luscious?
Or will the winds come and dry things out, making it a difficult task to make each plant stand on its own?
Will I be in good health, so I can take care of each plant to the best of my ability, or will I have to turn that task over to someone else?  I don't know.  All those things have happened in the past and many other
scenerios turn up year after year.  It is always different.  Some years my garden is beyond my expectations.  The vines are green and grow up the trellis just so.  The colors I pick for my annuals look like
a painting. Other years things are out of sinc.  Colors don't blend.  The vines are sparse.  What happened?
In the past when I have encountered disappointment I become discouraged.
I second guess myself, thinking what else could I have done?
Could I have been more attentive to my flowers?  Could I have cared for them any better?
If I really think about it, the answer is no.  I never let them die.  I take care of them
to the best of my ability.  Things just happen in a garden that are beyond the caretaker's control.
To enjoy one's garden all you can do, is be willing to plant the seeds, nourish and care for them
 then stand back and see what happens.
I have learned a few things as a gardner.

The years come and go.
I am at peace.
It is what it is.  I do what I can.   I can't change the weather. 
I can't change my abilities - my health, my strength, my age.
I can just try.  I love my garden.  I can just plant the flowers,
care for them, nourish them, love them, enjoy them.
They are, afterall God's creations. 
I am just the gardner.

1 comment:

Billie Sue said...

You and Earl share a lot in common with your thoughts and feelings of working with the earth. I too love to garden, but it sounds like I need to take a few lessons from you to really become an expert! Let's get together for some planning. Will you teach me?