Monday, May 7, 2012

Washington DC

We arrived in Washington DC on Saturday and have not stopped moving since.  I 've loved every minute of our stay here.  Could spend another month wandering through all the museums.  We've hit the highlights that were of greatest importance to us.  Saturday we spent the day at Mount Vernon.  Yesterday we took the hop on and off bus tour of the city and saw most of the monuments.  The Vietnam and Korean War were most impressive.  We found Jim's cousin, Wendle's name on the wall.  Today we got our private guided tour through the capitol.  Our guide was out of Senator Mike Lee's office.  He was fabulous.  That tour was a highlight and worth getting a hold of someone a head of time. Next the holocaust museum.  Can't put into words how I felt as I went through the exhibits.   The Iwo Jima monument was our last stop.  We got there just as a tour of World War II veterans were finishing up their tour.  What a thrill to be there with those hero's who served in that war.  I remember going to that particular monument with my dad when I was in High School.  It was the first time I ever saw him cry.  It is a very impressive place.  I've loved everything about this experience.  So grateful for the free nation we live in and all it stands for. Grateful as well that we were able to come on this vacation.  Next stop...the PA gang!!!!

1 comment:

mama jo said...

sounds fantastic...