Saturday, January 26, 2013

Peonies and Foxgloves



I've always wanted to have foxgloves and peonies in my garden and never been too successful.  I do have a peony that used to bloom but since has been covered up by a vine, so it my goal to move it this year into my perennial garden and see if I can get it to bloom.
 
Peonies grow best in the full sun, so mine will never be a success as long as it's hiding behind the vine that has grown so big.  To encourage flowering, they need to be planted on a northern exposure, (which mine is).  It's a good idea to plant in a raised bed because the roots will quickly rot in poorly drained soil. 
 
Both of these beautiful blooms make lovely cut flowers.  Peonies come back each year in the spring, while foxgloves are bienneial, only making it two growing seasons.  But what beautiful spring flowers they are to look forward to!

No comments: