Saturday, February 15, 2014

Stitching Through Time..Abby and Adelila



My grandmother, Ad's house always had a quilt set up in the living room.
 Often when I would go over she would be sitting around the quilt with her friends stitching and visiting. 
Sometimes we would sit underneath the quilt and listen to their laughter, their stories,  their voices. 


The stitching on those old quilts spoke of great talent, and also said a lot about the women who worked on them.  
 Sometimes my grandpa would even sit and stitch a little.   
I loved to wrap up in the warmth of those soft folds my grandma made for us with such loving hands.


I spend many of my days at my daughter, Abby's home.
  She has inherited this great talent.  The quilting bees are a thing of the past for her. 
 She has a giant computerized quilting machine in her basement, with stacks of fabric ready to be stitched together to form yet another beautiful quilt. 
 She has quilts sent to her from all over the country from people who want her to quilt them together. 
Her husband also helps with her quilting endeavors. 
 (whenever a computer is involved, he's there!)
Her boys play downstairs around her while she does her work.
(nothing changes)


Abby has even been in McCalls Quilting Magazine. 
 (Quilt on the bottom left..designed by Sarah Maxwell & Dolores Smith, Machine Quilted by Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting.)

As I wrap up in one of her exquisite creations, I am reminded of my dear Grandma Bagley. 
 How the two of them would have loved to sit around a quilt together and share ideas and their love of fabric and patterns.  
The thought warms my heart.

No comments: