Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day


As I sat outside this evening, enjoying the beautiful night I started thinking. 
 I am so grateful for a few days to reflect on my heritage. 
To be able to think about those who came before and sacrificed so much that I am able to live in such comfortable circumstances. 
 I love history, love learning about ancestors and their lives. 
 I have thought a lot about those people who came across the plains as pioneers and others who crossed the ocean because they believed in the gospel and wanted a better life. 
I am so grateful for parents and grandparents who loved and taught me by their example.


I remember and pay tribute to all these loving family members this day. 
 My life has been blessed because of them.


Each time I go into my garden I think of Maude. 
She loved peonies, lilacs, snowballs..and anything else that grew. 
 My mom and both my grandmothers loved gardening and so I guess I have the dirt under my fingernails naturally. 
What a gift this is, because being outside with my plants gives me a great sense of peace.


Love the tradition of going to the cemetery to honor those who have gone on before. 
 What a beautiful and peaceful day it was yesterday to sit and remember those loved ones. 


To teach the little ones the importance of honoring those who have died for our freedom. 


"On this day for one brief moment, hear the silence fill the air
Think of those who walked beside us, now no longer there,
Then don't cry but hear their laughter, for their spirit lives inside
Let that mystic stream of memory fill our hearts with pride!
 
Make us humble, make us knowing, and accepting what is done
On this day for now, forever, make this nation one..
On this day for all the fallen, make this nation one."
 
~Charles Strouse

No comments: