Saturday, December 13, 2008

Old Swedish Custom


One of my favorite Christmas memories was our great Lundgren Christmas Eve party. When I was little we would get together at Grama and Grampa Lundgren's house with all the cousins, aunts, and uncles. It was always a big deal when you where around 8 years old and got to be Mary in the the Nativity program. It was probably the last Christmas at Grama's house when I got to be Mary, because I remember Marty got to be Santa Lucia...and that somehow seemed even better! (how could that be better than being Mary)? At the end of the Nativity, Santa Lucia got to come in with a tray of cookies or sticky buns and pass them around to everyone. She had a crown painted red with candles on it. I can't actually remember the story behind Santa Lucia..so Marty, if you would like to blog about it, I would appreciate it. I loved that we continued with those Swedish customs. How fun that would have been for Grampa to pass on some of his heritage to his family. Memories and family traditions are wonderful. On Christmas Eve we now celebrate by having family and friends come over and enjoy homemade Chicken Noodle soup and on Christmas morning Jim always makes is delicious omelets. Hopefully these will be things our kids and grandkids will remember fondly. Do you have happy memories or traditions?

2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I do remember the story. Thanks for the memories and the idea!

mama jo said...

i remember those fun times..loved it when i was lucia