Monday, May 30, 2011

MEMORIAL DAY~ A TIME TO REMEMBER

It's Memorial Day. 
 Usually on this day we would be visiting the very peaceful Mt Olivet and the not so peaceful Wasatch Lawns. 
 Cleaning up and bringing flowers to Leo, Maude, Jiggs and June.  
Remembering their love, the fun times we had with them and all they did for us. 
 Jim and I are two blessed people.  
We both had parents who loved family and would do anything for the family they had. 
 They were the happiest when surrounded by children and grandchildren.  
As we have been with these ballplayers this week, I can't help but think how much fun both Leo and Jiggs would have had watching each of these boys play. 
 As we sat around the table eating and all the boys continued playing in their yard, I can hear Maude and June laughing and commenting on how dear each one of the boys were.  
June and I would tell Maude how Hogan has her twinkling brown eyes.  
She would be thrilled. 
 Memorial Day is a time of remembering, not in a sad way, in a reflective happy way. 
 It is a time to stop and be grateful for those who gave their lives for our freedom.  
For me it is a time to remember those loved ones who have gone on before. 
 I might get a little teary, but mostly I am happy and grateful, for these are the people who made me who I am. 
 They are the ones who loved me unconditionally, who cared, who nourished, who taught, who sacrificed.  
So even though I am not there to put flowers on your grave, thank you to my parents, grandparents and all the greats who came before..
I love you.

1 comment:

Billie Sue said...

Love your writing! I can visualize your all sitting around discussing the children and who they take after. I thoroughly enjoyed this post!