Sunday, June 5, 2011

IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE.

"The English rose greets the summer garden with a profusion of colour and perfume and our doors and windows are thrown open to allow the season's intoxicating atmosphere to envelop us and our homes."
~Sydney A. Sykes

It's that time of year when, as you may have noticed I started fiddling with my blog design. 
When this feeling hits me, I used to start moving all the furniture in my house. 
I'd move couches into different rooms, changing the whole look and feel. 
Something about the seasons makes me want to change everything. 
Well, I'm getting older, and also, I have no help. 
My son Nick used to tell me that if I wanted a couch moved downstairs I could do it single handedly -
if I wanted it badly enough. 
Nick was kind and used to help with those couches. 
 But he has moved to a different state. (Probably so I can't call him for the annual furniture move). 
The weather has kept everyone indoors, and so the gardening is even behind. 
 So my blog has been my outlet. 
Elsie King Moreland said, " Changing the furniture around is to a woman what taking a vacation is to a man...Nothing seems to refresh me quite so much, to give me a new lease on life as seeing my piano in another corner, the sideboard under the windows, my bed facing another wall." 
I couldn't agree more. 
 It also gives me a chance to really clean all the corners that never see the light of day. 
 I like to lighten things up in the summer. 
 I'd love to be able to put white slipcovers on all my couches and chairs,
 but knowing that won't happen, maybe a lighter throw, and some seasonal flowers around. 
I put my silver tea set away. 
 I  can't afford a summer house, but I can turn my home into a lovely place, where I will enjoy the summer season with friends and family.

2 comments:

Billie Sue said...

I used to do the same thing! For the past few years, I have let this slip past me, but you have motivated me and I WILL CHANGE MY FURNITURE! No wonder Earl heads to the fields! Poor Rob is my helper, but he is very patient with me! How can we share so many of the same feelings?

Travelin'Oma said...

Having no garden to call my own, I look forward to spending time in yours!