Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fashion on a Budget

I was brought up by a beautiful woman.  She lived in a household full of girls.  They grew up during the depression.  Depression or not, as they got older and started dating they wanted to look cute.  They all learned how to sew.  I have been told by my aunts, that my mom was able to create things out of nothing.  She had a sense of style way back then. 
Then, she married my dad, who loved to buy her the most beautiful clothes.  She was a lovely woman with a sense of style.  Unfortunately she passed that love of clothes onto me.  I rebelled when she tried to teach me how to sew, so I make due with sales, and  her sense of fashion. I've learned how to put things together without spending much.  The last few years, when I go shopping, I mostly look and see how things are put together.  Then I go home and shop in my own closet!  You can always find something there that goes with this or that and make a whole new outfit!

Some of the things in these pictures I truly do own, but the ones I don't I have something similar.  This year I found the yellow wedges and a royal blue on sale.  I actually had old beads that were mustard and beaded them together to make a necklace which I wear with silver.  I love the blue and yellow! 


I got this brown skirt for my birthday.  I've worn it with everything.  It is so comfortable. I have some salmon shoes (unfortunately, not these beauties above.)  But I do wear this skirt with an old brown shell and a white linen summer jacket.  Then add the salmon jewelry. 


The red shoes were also a birthday gift.  I love mixing red with yellow.  Have my old standby white skirt that has served me for about eight summers, a yellow lightweight sweater, (not quite as cute as the one above) but does make the yellow statement I'm looking for.  Add the red beads and there you go!


And of course white is the best for summer.  You can add anything to it and make it a new outfit.  Here is another lovely bracelet I would love to have (I don't), but I have others that serve the purpose.  Add the gold necklace and brown or gold shoes and it's a very fresh and cool outfit.

Remember, nothing has to be expensive.. it is the way it is put together.  Go look in your closet, I'll bet you find all sorts of treasures!!!

And then remember what Audrey says...

"Happy girls are the prettiest"

Audrey Hepburn

Posted by Picasa

No comments: