Sunday, December 2, 2012

"The Heart of Christmas which is Love..."

Yesterday it was my Grandmother's birthday.  Our family (cousins, aunts, uncles) celebrated, as we usually do, getting together at Christmas time, because of this woman.  She taught us the meaning of family, of Christmas and of love.  She was just a little woman, simple in her needs, but so powerful in her example and her legacy. 



She lived into her nineties, always with a sweet smile, and such a funny sense of humor.  Little notes left to illustrate that wit.  She was never too busy for a visit, to write a letter to a granddaughter, to tell a story or two. 

 
My grandparents and my parents taught me by example that family was something to be cherished. Not just at Christmas, but all year.  Their time was given freely regardless of what was going on. And at Christmas, magic was in the air, and the love felt was as if a warm quilt had been wrapped around us. 
How grateful I am to have the opportunity to be around little ones.  To feel their little arms around my neck.  Whenever I want during our days, I ask, and am given "loves".  They are as much for me as for these precious children.  The world is so fast today.  It is more important than ever to stop and remember the love given and then pass it on.
 
"May you have the gladness of Christmas which is hope;
The spirit of Christmas which is peace;
The heart of Christmas which is love."
 
~Ada V. Hendricks

No comments: