Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Love the Ones Your With

We had a really nice Ward Conference Sunday.  We were given basic advice.  Nothing new.  But in a loving spirit that touched my heart.  Our bishop talked about loving the people we are surrounded by.  Our family, neighbors, the people we work with.  We can't change them.  We wouldn't want to - (in most cases).  And usually by accepting differences, uniqueness and faults - as we would want others to accept ours, which is basically just the golden rule, we are a happier people.  He told of a meeting he was in where they were commiserating over the missionary effort not going well in the neighborhood.  One of our cute ladies with a funny sense of humor said "well why don't we just get a new set of neighbors?"  Obviously that doesn't solve the problem and it shouldn't be the attitude.  The bishop went on to say, when we are having problems with our family, do we say "well maybe we should just get a new set of kids, or parents, or siblings, or spouse?" That certainly isn't the way to go about life.  I'm sure I would be the first to be traded in!  His whole point was to love regardless of our quirks.  It is an old message, but a great one that is good to be continually reminded of.  I am grateful that I can't think of a person in my life that I would want to trade in.  I have been blessed with parents, family and friends who I don't think I could get along without.  Although those three that I work for- my goodness, some days! ( just kidding) I wouldn't trade my three little demanding bosses, Jake, Sam and Dylan for anything in the world!!

1 comment:

Billie Sue said...

Love the message! Our "Branch" conference was Sunday as well, but our message was nothing like yours, however, it was very nice. We even managed to have a little choir -- good thing Earl was singing for the men! I loved your title...I had to laugh, as Earl used to tell me when we were dating, that was my theme song! I thought it a good topic to blog about...again, maybe not! Writing is so cathartic for the soul! Love reading what you write!