Saturday, March 19, 2011

A GREAT LEGACY

 It's been a week since we heard the unbeiveable news that this great man passed away.  I think it will take the coming weeks for it to really sink in.  Kent was our beautiful Melanie's dad, Tyler's father-in-law.  Dylan's other grandfather.  Jim and I knew him as a good friend.  From the beginning he and Jim hit it off.  They were so much alike.  Loving the outdoors, both landscape architects, going to the same school,  many of the same interests.  Tyler thought he was the favorite son in law.  But Kent made everyone feel that way.  He was just a good, kind man.  One of those that lived his beliefs.  He just made you feel good to be around him.

 Jim and I went to the funeral Thursday.  He was honored by family and friends.  It was a beautiful service. His wife, Marjene spoke - a very brave woman.  She read the words to this song.

"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
I hope you still feel small When you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance
I hope you dance."

She said it was a favorite of Kent's and what he chose to do his entire life.  In his work, church callings, with his family, and personal life. 
 After the funeral we all gathered around while Tyler blessed his little one.  It was a special moment for us all.
Kent was indeed a special man.  His family and friends have been blessed for having him in their lives. He will continue to live with them through his teachings, his stories, his works, most of all his love.  His legacy is great, but he raised a great family who will all continue to dance.

"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out - Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance.

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance."

Kent danced -
I'm grateful I got to watch for just a bit.

1 comment:

al + sar said...

My heart is broken for Melanie, Tyler and Dylan and for Melanie's darling mom who I got to know at her shower. It looks like he was an amazing man.