Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Who is in Charge???


Last Friday I brought Dylan home for a little late night fun with us. 
 It was the start of a busy weekend. 
He played with Gramps, watched a little TV and then crawled into our big bed with me,
 (which he loves...the pillows and feather comforter are soooo soft.) 
 There he listened to a few lullabies and drifted off to sleep. 
 It was pretty much the only idylic part of the last few days.
 
Usually even the most organized and best laid plans don't go without something happening to mess it up just a bit.  Take my post from Saturday night about my Sunbeam class. 
Of course as plans and lessons are laid out it is always with the best intentions, until you are faced with a group of three year olds. 
 (you'd think I'd know this, since this is the average age of who I deal with 90 percent of my life.)


I had a well planned lesson. 
Beautiful valentine cookies on a stick,
 a valentine card for each child. 
 Stories, a game that went along with the lesson. 
 Music, snacks for when they get hungry, 
 their own little cup for a sip of water, a flannel board story where they helped.
 
 That's where the organization ended.
 
At 1:40 when our primary started
the chaos began. 
 It is the afternoon so these little ones start out a little droopy anyway,
 by the time they get to class half are saying "I'm tired"
(That is if they can even talk!) 
One child tried to escape out the window,
another little boy just wanted to eat the whole class time. 
 He was not interested in anything except when he would get fed next. 
another layed down on the floor
another is eating his shirt
(not the one who is hungry) 
 
My class is broken up into a number of increments to keep their attention. 
 I'll need to double those increments in the future.
 (And practice doing cartwheels and standing on my head to keep their attention.)
 
 To top everything off my contact was screwy and I couldn't see anything,
so my picture story with the storylines on the back of the pictures was totally made up,
 because I couldn't see it, 
 (I had read it a number of times, so I had the jist of the story). 
 
 The title of the Lesson was "My Heavenly Father and Jesus love me." 
 Each part of the lesson reiterated this.  I had them repeat it back to me, so if they remembered nothing else from the lesson they would remember that. 
 When I asked one little boy what the lesson was about,
 he said,
"cookies."
 (Which little boy do you think said that?)  
 I had given him about three tiny oreos and as I gave them to him I said
"who loves you?" answer: Heavenly Father and Jesus.
 Then they got a cookie. 
 
 One fell asleep in my arms during sharing time and another was just about there as she snuggled  close. 
 Hopefully they know I love them and will feel loved and secure when they come to primary.


On to other adventures! 
Yesterday Dylan was shown who the boss was by Sam. 
 Sam is usually sweet and good to Dylan, but he was having an off day yesterday and making sure that Dylan knew who was in charge
 (and it wasn't me). 
Today we had Dylan and Wren over here. 
I guess Dylan, being the older, bigger child was going to show Wren a few things. 
 He did play pretty well with her, showing her his socks,
but explaining to her who is in charge
of all the toys.
..and it isn't Wren. 

I've decided no matter what we grown ups do,
 the kids are really running the show.

1 comment:

Abby said...

So cute - Sam told me he learned about cookies.....haha